Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Your Baby Can Read - Month 2

Maggie is on month two of Your Baby Can Read.Not much difference since last month.  She still likes the videos and does some overall good squealing, but she is not reading any Dickens yet.  The videos are actually pretty amateur/dated, so they get old (for me) very fast.  We had a friend give us some Baby Einstein videos and they are done much better.  There is a whole series of Baby Einstein:  Monet, Da Vinci, Galileo, etc.  I enjoy them much more, although I don't think Maggie cares that much.  She just likes the pictures, colors and songs.  Your Baby Can Read does focus much more on the words and does show them on the screen and repeats them twice.  It then shows a picture of whatever the word is.  It is everything from animals to motions.  It does say to show the video twice a day and that never happens.  I don't even show it everyday.  I think at 5 months, there isn't too much to worry about and I think that if I followed what the instructions say it would be a bit much.  There are also flash cards that have words on them too.  You are supposed to show the flash card and repeat the word.  We are not very diligent about that, but at 5 months it feels a bit like overkill.  I will continue to use it and we'll see how it goes.  I do have to say that she loves books.  She loves to hold them and she will look at the pictures as I turn the pages.  It's amazing that at 5 months it seems as if she is listening to me read the story.  It really shows how important it is to read to your child!  So, no Oliver Twist, but she loves Belly Button Book! by Sandra Boynton.  Happy Reading!

4 comments:

  1. We've been reading Dr. Seuss books to Kai. I read that newborns will calm quicker and ing general respond better to books they heard repeatedly while in the womb during feeding, etc. Who knows if it's true but we're trying it. I am getting a bit annoyed by Dr. Seuss though.
    We're very curious to see how Your Baby Can Read turns out for you guys.
    And I loved your smoke alarm story!
    I'll be in AZ 10/21-10/24, I'd love to see you guys and Maggie. (You should get a baby shower invitation from my girlfriend Carrie as well, if you haven't already).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely be at your shower! Can't wait. I didn't know you had picked out a name! How cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading to your child is SO important! If you're interested in a great book about it, read The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease. It has the research, statistics, and lists of books that are great to read aloud to kids of different ages!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have several of the Baby Einstein videos. Jake is just now starting to follow along. When the video says "clap your hands" Jake does it. Same with "kick your feet" and several other small commands. Soooo cute! I think these videos are just as effective. And they hold his attention just long enough for me to get in a shower! :)

    ReplyDelete